Samsung Reigns as King of the Droids
BOSTON - In its newly released February MobileSTAT, Jumptap, Inc., the leading mobile audience targeting platform, reports on how top mobile share trends will evolve in the comings months, and takes a look at the best ad campaigns of 2012.
Among other predictions, Jumptap sees Samsung’s share among Android handset brands climbing to 59 percent in 2013, while HTC and LG get grouped closely together, but in a distant second place.
“As Samsung creates more distance between itself and other Android handset brands, it may begin to pose a threat to Google’s multi-device model,” said Matt Duffy, Vice President of Marketing at Jumptap. “Regardless of whether Google puts more muscle behind any other Android handset brand, we believe Samsung will increase its dominance of the Android device market in 2013.”
February MobileSTAT Findings:
- Tablets Grow; Feature Phones Decline: Tablet share more than doubled on the Jumptap network in 2012, while feature phone share dropped significantly. This polarizing movement will continue over the coming months, with tablet share predicted to grab 29 percent of Jumptap network traffic, while feature phone share dips close to zero. Advertisers who increase their mobile investment, but leave tablets out of their strategy, will miss close to 1/3 of the mobile market.
- In Mobile OS Race, Third Horse Not Needed: According to data from the Jumptap network, iOS grew its market share from 26 percent in 2011 to 43 percent in 2012. Growth is likely attributed to the iPhone 4S and 5 launches in late 2011 and September 2012, respectively, as well as increased iPad use. Meanwhile, Android edged up slightly, maintaining the number one spot, while RIM declined significantly. For advertisers who seek reach, efficiency and results, targeting across both iOS and Android will optimize results.
- And the Jumptap Mobile Campaign Oscar Goes To:
- Best In-Game Integration: Intel
Intel worked with Jumptap, Rovio, the parent company of Angry Birds, and Celtra, a leader in mobile rich media, to craft an integrated mobile/PC campaign, which included an Intel-branded Angry Birds game on Facebook. Intel drove fans from the mobile Angry Birds experience to Facebook via a unique set of in-game mobile ads built by Jumptap and Celtra. The mobile ads saw an impressive 2.5 percent click-through rate and 7 million fans played the Intel-branded Angry Birds game on Facebook.
- Best Rich Media: Chevy Sonic
Chevrolet worked with Jumptap to build awareness for the Chevy Sonic among a younger demographic of new car buyers. After the automaker teamed-up with famous street artist Jeff Soto to create a graffiti-style mural involving a Sonic, Jumptap fashioned the creative into a rich media mobile ad campaign. Ad expansion rates were 20 percent above average, among other positive results.
- Best Use of New Ad Feature: San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau (SACVB)
For Valentine’s Day, the SACVB collaborated with Proof Advertising and Jumptap to create custom mobile rich media, featuring Jumptap’s newly available Overlay Interstitial functionality, promoting romantic travel stays in the city of San Antonio. Using hyper-local, geographic and zip-level data targeting, the campaign reached the desired male audience and succeeded in engaging 60 percent of targeted consumers.
- Best In-Game Integration: Intel
MobileSTAT (Simple Targeting & Audience Trends) is a monthly glance into targeting and audience trends in mobile advertising through Jumptap’s network of over 30 billion impressions, 134 million U.S. users and 40,000 apps and websites. MobileSTAT contains analysis of dozens of terabytes of log data, powered by the scalable, efﬁcient Jumptap technology. To download the full Jumptap MobileSTAT, click here.
The Jumptap MobileSTAT reports mine large quantities of network data to identify targeting and audience trends. Jumptap uses proprietary algorithms to analyze and normalize this data. In some cases, when sufﬁcient conditions are met, subsets of data may have been used as proxies to represent the overall network. Jumptap also sources data from third-party firms.
About Jumptap, Inc.
Jumptap, Inc. (www.jumptap.com) is the leading mobile audience targeting platform. Reaching 134 million mobile users in the U.S. and 206 million mobile users worldwide, Jumptap uses its extensive technology portfolio, as well as industry-first partnerships with more than 20 third-party data providers, to understand mobile audiences better than any other ad platform and provide intelligent targeting with scale. Through its large network of premium publishers and apps, constant campaign optimization and real-time bidding capabilities, Jumptap delivers the best ROI for advertisers and highest yield for publishers and developers. Jumptap has pioneered mobile advertising privacy standards and is committed to unlocking mobile opportunities for all parties through its ongoing industry research, such as its monthly MobileSTAT report. Visit http://www.jumptap.com and http://www.jumptap.com/blog for more information; join our Facebook community, follow us on Twitter at @Jumptap and check out our latest ads at the Jumptap Ad Gallery.