Fast-growing ad technology company continues to grow executive team amid rapid revenue growth and international expansion
Redwood Shores, Calif. – Rocket Fuel, the leading provider of artificial intelligence advertising solutions for digital marketers, today announced that the company has hired JoAnn Covington as General Counsel. With 19 years experience as a practicing lawyer in the technology industry, Covington joins Rocket Fuel from Electronic Arts, where she spent nearly 14 years in senior legal counsel roles.
· At Rocket Fuel, Covington will be responsible for managing all aspects of the company’s legal activities, including international expansion, regulatory and legal compliance, and IP strategy. Covington’s experience advising companies on their overall legal framework, mergers and acquisitions, contracts and licensing, international law, and public company reporting requirements will be invaluable to Rocket Fuel as it continues to expand globally.
· Prior to joining Rocket Fuel, Covington served as Division Counsel for Electronic Arts’ Maxis Label division, where she was responsible for advising executives on a wide range of legal issues including licensing and transactional work; IP portfolio management; and e-commerce and data protection regulation in the US and Europe. She previously held other senior legal roles at Electronic Arts, including Senior Counsel for IP Policy and Practice; Senior Legal Counsel for Licensing and IP; and Senior Legal Counsel for Litigation. She was also a member of the corporate governance team for Electronic Arts.
· Earlier in her career, Covington served as an Associate at Fenwick & West LLP representing technology companies. She has also served as a guest lecturer at Stanford Law School. She received her JD from Harvard Law School, magna cum laude, and a BA in government from Clark University. She is a member of the California Bar Association.
· Covington joins Rocket Fuel at a time of rapid growth. The company recently closed a $50M funding round, bringing total funding to date to $76M. Between 2009 and 2011, Rocket Fuel’s compound annual growth rate exceeded 325%, and in 2011 alone, the company grew revenue to $45 million and reached EBITDA profitability in Q42011. Rocket Fuel also tripled headcount in 2011, and currently has 216 employees with plans to hire another 100 people this year.
· “JoAnn’s extensive experience running legal strategy at Electronic Arts will be a huge benefit to Rocket Fuel as we continue to expand into new international markets, explore acquisition opportunities, rapidly grow our staff, develop new patented technology, and position for a potential IPO,” said Peter Bardwick, CFO of Rocket Fuel. “We are thrilled to welcome JoAnn to the Rocket Fuel executive team.”
· “I wanted to join a truly innovative, high-growth company – and Rocket Fuel is one of the most exciting companies in Silicon Valley,” said JoAnn Covington. “I look forward to working closely with the Rocket Fuel executive team to advise on legal strategy as the company continues its rapid growth trajectory.”
About Rocket Fuel:
Rocket Fuel is the leading provider of artificial intelligence advertising solutions that transform digital media campaigns into self-optimizing engines that learn and adapt in real-time, and deliver outstanding results from awareness to sales. Recently awarded #22 in Forbes Most Promising Companies in America list, over 700 of the world’s most successful marketers trust Rocket Fuel to power their advertising across display, video, mobile, and social media. Founded by online advertising veterans and rocket scientists from NASA, DoubleClick, IBM, and Salesforce.com, Rocket Fuel is based in Redwood Shores, California, and has offices in fifteen cities worldwide including New York, London, Toronto, and Hamburg.