Revises Specifications for Communication Protocol Between Video Players & In-Stream Video Ad Units – Enabling Rich Interactive In-Stream Advertising Experiences for Viewers and Richer Data for Publishers & Brand Marketers
NEW YORK - The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) released an update to “Video Player Ad-Serving Interface Definition” (VPAID) for public comment. An advanced communication protocol between video players and ad units, VPAID was initially released in 2009, offering cross-platform support for rich in-stream video ads. Extending and enhancing those original specifications, VPAID v2.0 provides in-stream video ad designers even greater interactive capabilities and support for improved reporting.
“Anyone involved in the video advertising supply chain can benefit from this upgrade to VPAID,” said Steve Sullivan, Vice President, Ad Technology, IAB. “Adoption of VPAID v2.0 improves the capture of rich in-stream advertising interactions and offers advertisers even more data about the increasingly creative advertising experience they provide for their consumers.”
VPAID v2.0 includes:
- Document Rewrite — The content in VPAID v2.0 has been reorganized and simplified. Special attention was given to the flow of explanations, empowering non-technical readers to understand VPAID and technical readers to implement VPAID.
- VPAID and VAST Integration — A valid VPAID object when layered with the IAB Video Ad-Serving Template (VAST) guidelines is highly recommended because VAST ads that include VPAID protocols can play in both VAST- and VPAID-enabled video players. This new version offers guidance on how to use VPAID protocols in a VAST ad unit.
- Technical Feature Updates — Features to support advancing video capabilities such as skippable ads, self-regulation of online behavioral advertising, and interactions beyond the clickthrough have been added.
The public comment period for the IAB release of VPAID v2.0 will run through March 29, 2012. Once the public comment period closes, the IAB Digital Video Committee will meet to evaluate comments received, make any needed changes to the draft specifications, and release a final version. Comments are being accepted by email at [email protected].
For a copy of the public comment version of VPAID v2.0 and more information about VPAID, the working group and its members, please visit http://www.iab.net/vpaid.
About the IAB’s Digital Video Committee
The Digital Video Committee of the IAB is comprised of over 180 member companies actively engaged in the creation and execution of digital video advertising. One of the goals of the committee is to implement a comprehensive set of guidelines, measurement, and creative options for interactive video advertising. The Committee works to educate marketers and agencies on the strength of digital video as a marketing vehicle. A full list of Committee member companies can be found at: www.iab.net/digital_video_committee.
About the IAB
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) is comprised of more than 500 leading media and technology companies that are responsible for selling 86% of online advertising in the United States. On behalf of its members, the IAB is dedicated to the growth of the interactive advertising marketplace, of interactive’s share of total marketing spend, and of its members’ share of total marketing spend. The IAB educates marketers, agencies, media companies and the wider business community about the value of interactive advertising. Working with its member companies, the IAB evaluates and recommends standards and practices and fields critical research on interactive advertising. Founded in 1996, the IAB is headquartered in New York City with a Public Policy office in Washington, D.C. For more information, please visit www.iab.net.
Latest posts by Otilia Otlacan (see all)
- New Kantar Solution Optimizes Campaigns Based On Impact - May 23, 2013
- DataXu Introduces the Industry’s First Algorithm Marketplace - May 23, 2013