The MAG’s January Numbers Indicate Android OS Still Top for Smartphones
NEW YORK — Android is capitalizing on the variety of smartphones and mobile devices available on the market, continuing its dominance with 52 percent of the unique mobile audience in January 2011, according to the Mojiva Mobile Audience Guide (MAG) for February. The report also showed explosive growth in overall unique users on the Mojiva network from December 2010 to January 2011.
Additional Findings from Mojiva’s February MAG:
* On the iPad, Unique users grew 537 percent, audience engagement doubled and ad requests increased by 866 percent from November 2010 to January 2011.
* Android users were most likely to be nursing a New Year’s Day hangover and surfing the mobile Web — 48 percent of the unique audience on 1/1/11 came from the OS. iPhone users made up 33 percent of the audience.
* iPhone users were most active and engaged during the Martin Luther King holiday (January 17), taking 37 percent of the unique market audience with a click-thru rate (CTR) of 1.2 percent.
* Users on WAP-enabled mobile phones and early smartphones showed consistent engagement with mobile ads in Jan 2010 compared to Jan 2011, supporting data from Nielsen’s State of the Media 2010.
* The Mojiva ad network overall grew by 30 percent to 77.6 million unique users month-over-month.
About Mojiva’s Mobile Audience Guide (MAG)
The MAG is a monthly index comprised of data from the Mojiva network internal analytics and reporting platform. The data encompasses users in the United States and focuses on the mobile user activity within the Mojiva mobile media network. Data in the report is compiled based on unique users, unless otherwise specified, to ensure the cleanest possible information is provided to readers.
Mojiva (www.mojiva.com) is a mobile ad network which reaches more than 77 million users globally and represents 3,000 mobile publisher and apps, including ABC, Univision, TMZ, International Business Times and MySpace. Through deep and open integration with all major rich media providers (PointRoll, EyeWonder, Phulant, Sprout, Crisp Wireless, and Celtra) and ad servers (DART and Atlas), Mojiva can provide ad agencies with every imaginable mobile creative execution across mobile web sites, apps and devices. Founded in May 2008 and based in New York City, Mojiva is led by a team of advertising and media veterans from Google, DoubleClick, Yahoo, Nokia and AdMob, with more than 100 years of collective experience in mobile marketing and technology. Mojiva is an independent ad network operating under parent company Mojiva Inc., which has a total of $10 million venture funding from Pelion Partners and Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments.