SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Marketers and advertisers have a new way to reach mobile audiences, courtesy of yet another emerging market trend credited to the iPhone. Apple’s debut of the iPhone Apps store has provided a platform for branded applications. Recent research from In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com) forecasts more than 100 million apps store compatible mobile phones from multiple manufacturers will be shipping within five years.
“With greater capabilities in both running native applications and viewing ‘real Internet’ websites, smartphones have increased usage and user expectations for mobile content,” says David Chamberlain, In-Stat analyst. “Along with the expanding handset base, users are downloading more applications. Reach for marketing applications is growing rapidly and those applications can provide prolonged engagement with the user and keep the advertiser’s brand in focus.”
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
* Smartphones having a strong app store orientation will reach 30% of the global smartphone market by 2013, approaching nearly 100 million units.
* Survey respondents show iPhone users are by far the most active apps store users, significantly outpacing users of Blackberry, Palm OS or Windows Mobile phones.
* Application marketing, like all new advertising media, lacks consistent, accepted analytics many advertisers are accustomed to.
The research, “The Apps Store is Born: Smartphones Enable New Marketing and Advertising Opportunities Worldwide” (#IN0904424MCM), covers the worldwide market for smartphones. It includes:
* Worldwide forecasts for smartphone unit sales and apps through 2013.
* Global penetration forecasts for app store OS smartphones through 2013.
* Marketing app reach by smartphone OS through 2012.
* Results of a US consumer survey regarding smartphones and applications.
* Profiles of companies offering smartphone apps including Medialets, Zumobi, Mobile Posse, Transpera, and MobiTV.
For more information on this research or to purchase it online, please visit: http://www.instat.com/catalog/wcatalogue.asp?id=231 or contact a sales representative: http://www.instat.com/sales.asp.
The price is $2,495.
In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. Our insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts, nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, and direct relationships with leading players in each of our core markets. In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform critical decisions.